View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM

taskmgr.exe, do you live in the United States? If not, then I can't speak to your individual situation culturally. No matter where you live, one thing that will be true is that you should get your education. Put whatever caused you to flunk out behind you. Start college again, get educated, and learn skills.

I'm not aware of anyone in my circle with a stutter. There could be people I know, but it isn't noticeable. A couple of years ago there was a saleswoman with a stutter at a local Banana Republic. She was in a customer-facing position. I asked her about jeans, and it was apparent right away that she had a stutter. She was beautiful, which might have factored in to her hire. She was able to help me find jeans the same as anyone without a stutter would.

Are you actively applying for jobs? Are you qualified for any work in particular? At 19, would it be possible to get something in construction? If you're going to college, and you have a "college job", it may not be what you'll do for your career. The school might have job opportunities. If you aren't applying for jobs, start there. The worst that will happen is you won't get a response. If you get interviews, then that at least provides interview experience, even if you don't get the job. A positive attitude, and good work ethic can make up for any other (perceived) short-comings.

I use a wheelchair. Obviously our situations are different, but we both have disabilities. I graduated from college, and I have a job. People generally want to be helpful. It makes them feel good. I think most people will understand your issue. If someone is a jerk about it, try not to let it bother you. I don't know what it was like for you growing up with a stutter. Kids can be cruel. Adults can be too, because people can be cruel, but people will grow out of it, or you won't care so much. The people who don't care about your stutter are the really good ones. Think of it as a filter. People who don't want to be around you because you stutter aren't people you want to be around anyway. The main thing is to get an education. Wherever you're going to school, check if there is a disability services office on campus. They might have some therapy available, or maybe the school has some kind of speech therapy school where you could go.

There was an episode of True Life on MTV about young people and stuttering. I don't know if it will do anything for you. There was one about paralyzed people too. It helped me remember that I'm not the first person to go through it.