View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
I think you're demanding rather more precise measurements from the screenwriters than are reasonable. But anyway, they had cabs in 1947.
Not measurements -- plot logic.

In any case the argument that Kris is Santa is simple: the theme of the movie is clearly and simply that we must believe in things even when there's no evidence to back them up. Consider:

Quote:
Fred Gailey: Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile.
-------------------------------
Doris: Faith is believing when common sense tells you not to. Don't you see? It's not just Kris that's on trial, it's everything he stands for. It's kindness and joy and love and all the other intangibles.
-------------------------------
Doris: Would you please tell her that you're not really Santa Claus, that actually is no such person?
Kris Kringle: Well, I hate to disagree with you, but not only IS there such a person, but here I am to prove it.
If, as you assert, Kris isn't Santa, then the movie is denying its own message.

Even more telling is this line:

Quote:
Susan Walker (referring to the house): If you're really Santa Claus, you can get it for me. And if you can't, you're only a nice man with a white beard like mother says.
Since Kris does get it for her -- or, at least, leads them to the house and has visited it, in the terms of the movie, he's really Santa Claus.

Insisting that he's not Santa is like being Doris in the beginning of the film. Or worse, it's being Sawyer (the one person who never accepts Kris is Santa). If you want to be Sawyer, that's your decision, but since he's shown to be a neurotic, vindictive, and small-minded little man -- and pretty much the only villain of the movie -- that's clearly not what the movie is intending.

If you were right, then Sawyer would be the hero. He's not, and thus you're wrong.