View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 PM

To see some beautiful cars—old and new—check out Doug DeMuro's nice little video from this year's classic car week at Monterey. There's dozens of new supercars like McLarens and Aventadors and F599s and Bentleys and 458s, but the really good stuff is the classic exotics like the Maserati Ghibli and Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona and Lamborghini Espada and Mercedes 300SL (coupe and convertible) and Porsche 356, and even a BMW M1. There's also a few of my teenager dream exotics, like the Countach and Testarossa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Granted, the Veyron was parked on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, where it's probably not so unusual of a sight, but still, I was like a little kid. OOH! VEYRON!
I've been a car lover since i was a kid. When i was a teenager, every spare dollar i had went on car magazines, and i could rattle of engine displacement, power and torque, and performance numbers for a whole range of exotics. I still love cars, and spend a bunch of time reading about them on sites like Jalopnik.

And i cannot stand the Bugatti Veyron.

Sure, it's an impressive piece of engineering, but it is fucking butt-ugly, and it screams "wanker magnet." It strikes me as a car designed specifically to attract asshole oil sheiks and fashion designers and hedge fund douchebags, none of whom care very much about cars, but who want to be able to own the Fastest and the Most Expensive.

Did i mention that it's fucking ugly?

And although they've only built about 400 of them, they feel the need to make the car artificially even more exclusive by dividing those 400 cars into about 26 (i'm not kidding) different "special editions," just so your Veyron is different from everyone else's Veyron.

I'm not sure if i've mentioned this yet, but it's also fugly as fucking fuck.

I get quite satisfied to see that Veyrons that originally sold for around $2 million can now be had for closer to $1 million. I know that the type of people who buy these cars have more money than God anyway, but that is some pretty wild depreciation.

Think about it: for the amount that this guy has lost in depreciation, you could buy a Ferrari 458, a Porsche 911 Turbo, an Aston Martin DB9 V12, and Z07 Corvette, with thousands left over for gas, tires, and some lap time at your local racetrack.

And all of those cars look miles better than a Veyron, which, in case i forgot to mention it earlier, is fucking ugly.

Last edited by mhendo; 08-21-2014 at 05:32 PM.