View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
But in my mind this just underlines the necessity of research on the topic, looking before leaping. (Though honestly, the US isn't going to do any leaping. They will just grind through lawsuits.)
Research on the numbers might be helpful just to establish some sort of baseline, but I can't help thinking any published results would be doomed to vicious partisan deconstruction and spin. Perhaps approaching the question by analyzing the different policing approaches for strengths, weaknesses and legalities, and then taking a few passes at modelling the best practices which adhere to ethical and legal expectations?

All of which come to think of it has been under constant review by professional law enforcement entities since they've existed, and been the subject of more than a little thought experimentation in American literature since that has existed. So I guess I'm saying I don't know what specific new research really needs to be done.

And really, if police could magically no longer get away with civil rights violations at any significant level, I'm having a hard time believing they couldn't find effective replacement techniques for any shakedowns, beatdowns and unreasonable searches & seizures we hypothesize they're performing now.

In any case, as you said before, doesn't seem that society will have the luxury of "looking before leaping" as technology might have made that jump for us.