View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
What is the point of police if they're all just all bunch of criminals?
In many third world countries, it's commonly understood that the cops and crims are recruited from similar demographics and indeed act in not incomparable ways. In the West, police are more professional, relatively speaking. Well functioning police forces protect and serve. The other types exist to defend a regime.
-----

Rand Paul provides us with a wider perspective. He thinks there's a bigger story behind the police inflicted choking death of Eric Garner, and I have to say I agree. Rand Paul:
I think it's hard not to watch that video, of him saying "I can't breathe I can't breathe" and not be horrified by it. But I think there's something bigger than just the individual circumstances. Obviously the individual circumstances are important, but I think it's also important to know that some politician put a tax of $5.85 on a pack of cigarettes, so they've driven cigarettes underground by making them so expensive. But then some politician also had to direct the police to say, ‘Hey, we want you arresting people for selling a loose cigarette.' And for someone to die over breaking that law, there really is no excuse for it. But I do blame the politicians. We've put our police in a difficult situation with bad laws."
Yeah, we really have to reconsider our policies on, wait what? Cigarette taxes?? That's the bigger picture??