View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Indeed. But also, it emphasizes the facts of what was done to her: That she was manhandled in a way that left her bruised, filthy and vulnerable. That she continues to be haunted by the pain of that night. That the victim's insistence that she consented to her injuries contributes to her trauma.

The victims are not the ones who need humanizing. Typically, it's the defense who tries to humanize the defendent, by giving the jury some way to sympathize with the guilty party. It's only in rape trials that the victim has to work to earn the jury's sympathy.

As we see here - the judge had no interest in her suffering, even though the jury was unimpressed by Brock Turner's swim times or Stanford connections.
I don't know the whole story but I don't think I need to know every last detail once you have established that he was trying to fuck an unconscious girl behind a dumpster.

Sure, sometimes good people do evil things but the way this boy is acting doesn't make me think he is a good person who did a bad thing. It makes me think he's a bad guy that finally got caught. And judging from his parents, I think some of it was the result of nurture rather than nature.

The reason we end up crucifying rape victims is because one of the primary defenses against rape is consent. When a woman says she did not consent and the man says she did, they can't just take the woman's word for it and lock the guy in jail, they look at the woman (and man) under a microscope and let the jury decide if they think there was consent or not, this is particularly harrowing in the case of first time offenders from good backgrounds (not poor or black). In THIS case however, there is no question of consent (the girl was unconscious), so I am not sure what the purpose of the trial was other than to try and get a better plea bargain. But when you try that tactic and lose the trial, you also usually get the book thrown at you rather than get a relative slap on the wrist.

I understand giving a reduced sentence to a young first time offender who was drunk and had displayed remorse but if you are going to go light on the jail time, you frequently make the probation for more than the minimum term. I wonder if he would have been given such a light sentence if he was a black basketball player on the Stanford team.