View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 03:57 PM

This will be my fourth year - always wanted to but never had the time etc etc.

After yr 1 the raised beds (at home) which used to be a pilot plant for the allotment (Community garden in US?), have morphed into a kitchen garden with herbs (thyme, lemon thyme, parsley, marjoram, rosemary, basil, tarragon, mint, coriander - all bar basil and coriander overwintered); berries (gooseberry, blueberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant) and salad to sow imminently (mixed salad leaves, spinach, chard, rocket, land cress, spring onion, beetroot) also chives, garlic chives. Last frost risk hereabouts is historically second week of May.

The allotment is the workhorse - as yet untouched, but will start this week with new potatoes. Aubergine/eggplant, courgette/zucchini, squash and two types of pumpkin (pacific giant and mystery African) are on the windowsills. Runner beans, broad/fava and peas (a mystery heritage variety) I'll start in the shed shortly. French beans and chickpeas/garbanzo I sow direct. My mentor (J, no relation) is providing tomato plants for the patio and has directed me to buy cucumber plants.

The asparagus beds can be harvested for the first time this year. Turnips get sown when the potatoes come out.

BTW - any suggestions gratefully received. Bear in mind that my style is distinctly - ah - pragmatic.

j