View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Sweet. Can you point to those Bible verses, or better yet, the actual word of God that states those things? I don't remember those parts of Leviticus or John.
OK, in Acts 10, Peter has a dream of God telling him to slaughter unclean animals & eat them, then awakens to get a request from a Roman centurion to come tell him & his loved ones about God/Jesus. He goes to share the Gospel with them, they believe & receive the Holy Spirit, which shows Peter that God is disrupting the old Jewish/Gentile barriers, so he goes ahead & baptizes them without putting any Judaic demands on them.

In Acts 15, the whole issue as to what God requires of Gentile believers, including circumscision, kosher diet, and other aspects of the law of Moses, finally forces the Apostles to consider the issue, with input of Peter regarding his dream & experience with the centurion's household, and from Paul regarding his ministry to the Gentiles. The final result, endorsed by James "the brother of the Lord", that Gentiles need not get clipped nor be bound to the Israel-specific laws of Moses, but they are forbidden from idolatry & eating things offered to idols, "blood" (either violence or eating blood), eating strangled (inhumanely slaughtered) animals, and sexual immorality.
Those things were forbidden in what the Rabbis considered the Noahic Law given to all humanity. That was what's often called the Jerusalem Council.

In Leviticus 18 & 20, the sexual taboos are listed: incest, adultery, male-male intercourse, bestiality, along with child-sacrifice, with the notation that it was for those practices that the pagan peoples are being displanted by Israel.

Leviticus 19:19 is the law against mixing plant seeds, interbreeding animals, & mixing fabrics (specifically wool & linen), as symbolic of Israel/Gentile distinction.

Paul in Romans 1:26-27 & I Corinthians 6:9-11 includes same-sex relations among forbidden practices to all people. Now, to Christians, Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles- Christ's Agent to bring us the Gospel & what He required of us, even as Peter & the rest were sent to Israel. Throughout his letters, he emphasizes the freedom of believers from kosher diet, circumscision, Sabbath & festival obligations. That does not free them from the moral obligations.

Now WWJD regarding gays? Same thing He did with everyone- show compassion on them where they were mistreated & weak, call them to repentance where they mistreated others or sinned against God's requirements, and hold them to account if they persisted in sin.

I see no reason to think He would bless (or does bless) same-sex marriage, or approve of same-sex relations- any more than He would approve of adultery, incest, or bestiality, nor would He consecrate sexually-active gays into ministry. He would not deny them food or shelter or work, nor would He condone anyone who does so. But neither would He endorse their sexual activity, nor would He require anyone to do so.

No, I do not equate gays with those who practice incest, who cheat on their spouses, or have sex with animals. I only say that those practices are similarly forbidden, not just in Torah, but since Christ's coming.

Last edited by FriarTed; 06-10-2019 at 06:04 AM.