View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsen1 View Post
See, that's the thing. Most people who require assistance SHOULD be more responsible. And conservatives hold that value
And most people SHOULD use their turn signals, but as my commute each day shows me that isn't the case. Also liberals want people to be responsible too, but we understand that some people can't and also that just because some people won't it doesn't mean that we should just let their kids suffer. That hurts us all, and it isn't the kids' fault what circumstances they are born into. If some number of "unworthy" people get assistance in order for us to make sure we don't have American kids starving, then that's just part of being a society. We have to be careful about the consequences of cutting these programs on our most vulnerable citizens.

Quote:
It's a rather tough pill to swallow when the real world shows you that some people do not give a shit about helping, not only themselves, but family members/children. If someone cannot financially support a child, they should not bring them into this world assuming that someone else will.
It's also a tough pill to swallow when you realize that many people don't give a damn about poor kids and justify it with "well they shouldn't have been born", as if that changes anything.

Quote:
Most of our support systems we have in place encourages dependence on it rather than being free of it.
Is this true though? This is a common refrain from the right, but we did welfare reform already, I thought there already is a limit and the idea of a lifelong welfare leech is not really accurate anymore. Am I understanding incorrectly? Are there statistics that show this to be an increasing problem now? I'd like to see that data if this is such a huge problem in our society rather than just a cudgel being used on the right in order to slash social spending and lower their own taxes regardless of the actual reality of the situation.