View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Unemployment is at 3.8% which is generally considered below full employment. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there were 6.7 million job openings but only 6.4 million available workers to fill them as of June 18. This is significant because it was the first time in history that this has ever happened.

Since than it has risen to 7.1 million job openings versus 6.2 million in October of 2018.

Right now itís about the same (7.3 versus 6.4, iirc)

The job market is the strongest and labor is in greater demand than it has ever been.
So all those jobs at Walmart, in warehouses, waiting on tables at low-priced restaurants, washing the dishes in the back room, cleaning the floors in the hospital, taking tickets at the movies, running checkout at the grocery store, changing diapers at the daycare, changing sheets at the nursing home, harvesting lettuce, packing tomatoes, and I could go on all week -- all of those jobs are any minute going to start offering all of their workers full time positions with full benefits and enough pay to rent a decent and safe apartment within an hour or so's travel from work that has room for a child or an aged mother or whoever, get clothes and food and toothpaste and bedding and so on for oneself and the dependent and maybe get the cat fed and spayed, pay for whatever transportation's necessary to get back and forth to work and whatever care is needed for the dependent so the worker can show up at work consistently, and cover whatever healthcare the insurance doesn't, and have enough over to save for when something comes up? Because something will come up.

Let me know when that happens. Some of the wages have gone up a bit, yes; but not that big a bit. And while you're at it study up on the size of the shock that'll go through the economy as a whole if wages for those jobs do go up that much. Or consider what would happen if all the people doing those jobs stopped doing them, so they could do work that pays better.

And you could buy organically-grown grapes. If you can afford to do that, but buy the pesticided ones because they're cheaper, then yes you are in some part responsible if the pesticide is killing children. (If you have to buy the cheapest food because you've got no money to spare, then I don't think it's your fault.)

-- and yes Kearsen1, everybody in the USA who gets wages pays SSN, it's got nothing to do with number of dependents. I have also written paychecks.

Could say more. No time now.