View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
My impression is personal responsibility is a way to justify callousness. To justify cuts to the social safety net or harsh criminal sanctions. Also as OP mentions a way to justify lack of empathy towards minorities who do not have it as good.

When it comes to Republicans committing crimes, the mantra disappears. The modern conservative movement is based on paranoid fantasies of victimization, which is the exact opposite of the personal responsibility they claim to stand for. Railing that white Christians are victims because their iron grip on power is slipping is the exact opposite of personal responsibility.

Where is this mantra when coal miners see their jobs disappear and they refuse to train for a 21st century economy? Or when farmers vote for trump and then he passes tariffs that damage their companies? Or when Roy Moore and Donald trump threaten the people they sexually assaulted rather than accept what they did was wrong and their voters applauded?
All of this.

It's used as a way to justify cutting social safety nets and as a way for the speaker to feel superior to others. "So-and-so made a bad choice but I myself am perfect and have never made a mistake or done something stupid." So they don't have to feel bad about the US having very little safety net and people suffering miserable, short lives when many of them could have learned to lead productive lives with a little help. America seems to be determined to be a harsh and judgmental wasteland.

And yes, 45 goes on and on about trying to reel back outdated jobs for groups he likes such as coal miners, and nobody ever suggests that maybe a gov't program to retrain displaced workers would help them more, be more cost effective, and be better for everyone. As if there are no workers from other outdated fields who are also finding dwindling job prospects but nobody ever heard of them and 45 doesn't care about them so fuck them - nobody will help retrain them or try to yank back those outdated jobs. I guess 45 just got a hard-on for coal miners since Obama tried to reduce our dependence on coal.