View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Of course. Why are you appealing to or suggesting hypocrisy by directing your argument against that doesn’t apply to the actual situation?
I'm not accusing anyone of hypocrisy at all.

Quote:
No, it shouldn’t. I can say that I have responsibilities to my friend, country, school district, Etc. These are not personal responsibility. Doesn’t mean that they are not important, or that I can ignore them.
We agree on this, re-read what I wrote.

Quote:
It seems to what you are actually saying is that conservatives say “That’s not my mess, I’m not cleaning it up,” or “clean up your own mess.”
Sort of.

Quote:
You do know that Republicans tend to give more to charity, don’t you? I don’t think what you are saying holds true.
Charity is only one part of this. Also, where charitable contributions go matters, which is also sort of my point.

Quote:
What it seems to me that you are trying to do is say: “something bad happened here 50-100 years ago, so I want to force this group of people who had nothing to do with it to give some stuff to this other bunch of people that had nothing to do with it.” Somehow you are trying to tie this in to Personal responsibility so you can paint conservatives as hypocrites or whatever.

The fact is that I think redistribution are generally bad and unworkable and undesirable on so many levels as to be dismissible. It’s easy to be generous with somebody else’s stuff.
No, no no no no. I'm not talking about forcing anyone to do anything, and I'm not talking about hypocrisy, and I'm not talking about being generous with somebody else's stuff.

Let me put it this way. When Mitt Romney said, "I'll never convince [the 47%] to take personal responsibility and care for their lives," was he

a) making a nuanced argument about whether aid to communities in need should be compulsory or voluntary, or
b) making a value judgement about which Americans deserve help at all?

Do you think statements like that about people being unable to take personal responsibility and care for their lives are likely to increase, or decrease, voluntary charitable aid from those who agree with that message?