View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Is this true though? This is a common refrain from the right, but we did welfare reform already, I thought there already is a limit and the idea of a lifelong welfare leech is not really accurate anymore. Am I understanding incorrectly? Are there statistics that show this to be an increasing problem now? I'd like to see that data if this is such a huge problem in our society rather than just a cudgel being used on the right in order to slash social spending and lower their own taxes regardless of the actual reality of the situation.
I don't have statistics, but in my personal experience as an employer the hard limit on income for disability benefits, as opposed to a sliding scale or something similar, directly prevents (prevented) some employees from working a full time job.

I wish the government had said, "make more than $2600 a month, and we will deduct the lesser of 100% and ((earnings - $2600)/$2400) % from your benefits". Instead, it was something like "make $2600.01 or more in a month and you lose your disability benefits starting that month". As if it weren't bad enough to lose your benefits going forward, you lose that income for the current month that you already budgeted for. In practice this means I, the employer, get asked to take hours off the time-card, and my employees who deserve a raise or promotion or extra hours decline the opportunity citing government stupidity.

And it's not just my employee(s). I've heard other people complain about the same problem - friends, acquantances, family, patients (so many patients). The Medicare doughnut hole was (is) twice as dumb for so many more reasons. The government was (is) losing money as patients stopped taking their chronic meds and ended up in hospitals.

I have a feeling that if we moved these welfare programs onto sliding scales instead of hard cut-offs, we would see enough increased productivity (read: taxes) to make up for the increased spending. That opportunity is slipping away as the boomer generation increasingly becomes too old to work in 'retirement'. Worth a study, and should count as a plus on both sides of the isle.

~Max