View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
Do any of these possibilities really make sense to you?
Quote:
It makes no sense to give the benefit of doubt to the argument that violates the laws of physics as we understand them.
Quote:
Always so pleasant. Nothing in your response makes sense at all either.
Somehow, since I was using your word, I assumed you couldn't find offense in it. Live and learn. I will in the future only state my beliefs without commenting on yours.

Quote:
I've already said I believe the universe is causally determined...
And I've said that I am agnostic on this. We simply don't know.

Quote:
We are biological machines. What we experience as free will is an illusion.
I've also said that I do not see the connection between these two statements. I dislike the term "biological machines" because I think it's intended to gloss over a enormous number of issues we don't have answers to. Whatever we are is a product of multiple influences, both internal and external, that cannot be explained today. Brain scan studies are interesting, but cannot and should not at this stage be taken as evidence that the bottom level has been reached. Consciousness is the important problem. If we don't have any idea what it is we cannot say that it exists on a gradient. It might, or it might be an emergent property that only a few select species have. Are emergent properties casually determined? If so, how?

My personal belief is that we are at the state physics was in 1900. We thought we knew everything, only to find that we knew only a few basics, and not the interesting stuff. Our knowledge of the brain and consciousness, whatever that is, is basic. The interesting stuff is still hidden.