View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Also, micro-housing should be approved and encouraged, especially in and around high job areas. If you live less than a block from where you work, and can get all the amenities you need within a short distance, some may not mind having little more than a bed and a bathroom.
Meh. You know, not everyone who wants to live in an urban area near their office is a childless singleton, content to cram themselves into something resembling their college dorm room. I'd like to see more 3+ bedroom homes for people like with kids who actually like city living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No, it can't. The "market" is made up of a lot of evil greedy people out to make a quick cheap buck at the expense of others, leaving behind a stinking mess they no longer care about.
And when those "evil greedy people" can't make a quick cheap buck, they don't invest in new developments that would increase the number of units available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
And you can't just plop down a 20 story apt building in the middle of the suburbs. Not enough infrastructure.
Depends what you mean by "suburb". I was reading an article awhile back about a growing trend of development in suburban "satellite cities" around major metropolitan areas. For New York City, that would include smaller cities like Jersey City, Hoboken, Fort Lee, Weehawken, Secaucus and Newark in New Jersey; White Plains, NY; Stamford and Norwalk in Connecticut. Probably a number of others I can't think of off the top of my head. The characteristics of these smaller cities include the following:
- Home to large corporate offices
- Development of "downtown" areas with their own restaurants, bars, shopping, and other amenities
- Rail and other public transportation links to New York City. Many of these cities have their own major transportation hubs.
- Massive influx of multi-family condos and even luxury high rise buildings.

To your point, what I see when I drive around the tri-state area are a fair number of 20+ story condo towers plopped in what appears to be the middle of nowhere.