View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Your analysis has some fundamental flaws.

On the plus side of vaping is the increase in those who manage to quit with vaping being easily obtainable and flavored in kiddie appealing tastes above and beyond those who would mange to quit using nicotine gum/patches or vaping only available in less kid-friendly formats and more tightly controlled.

How much is that? I accept that it is non-zero but I see no evidence that it is a big number. The rate of decrease in smoking rates among established smokers has not dramatically sped up since vaping has taken off. But let's be generous, and say that one out of ten of current smokers can manage to quit by vaping with these flavors and marketing who would not otherwise be able to quit.

That plus, a fairly small one, is weighed against the numbers of new smokers being created BY vaping and the direct harms of vaping in a much larger number of new users who would otherwise have been doing neither. A huge one.

But yes, I could accept controls on marketing and required testing for proof of safety on all ingredients.
Well, ok. Hypothetically would you then accept outlawing of manufactured cigarettes? I feel like if the FDA is going to regulate Vapes they should require cigarette companies to adhere to the same standards...which they would instantly and automatically fail.

In a world where Vapes are still readily available but smokers have to hand roll each cigarette or find someone who will roll it for them..and you could outlaw sales of tobacco leaf, only purified nicotine can be sold to licensed purchasers....it would force people to switch to a less harmful alternative or find a criminal.