View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
Obama is clearly hypocritical, he recently said in a speech "There’s only so much you can eat. There’s only so big a house you can have. There’s only so many nice trips you can take. I mean, it’s enough.”
He also said "I mean, it shows a poverty of ambition to just want to take more and more and more, instead of saying, ‘Wow, I’ve got so much. Who can I help? How can I give more and more and more?’ "
In that same speech, he said that he was surprised by how much money he had, and that people didn't need to take a vow of poverty to help others. He was criticizing those people with lots of money that fight to avoid paying taxes or otherwise give back to their communities; that is different than having lots of money and helping people even while you are basking in success.

Quote:
I should add, by the way, right now I'm actually surprised by how much money I got, and let me tell you something: I don't have half as much as most of these folks or a tenth or a hundredth. There's only so much you can eat. There's only so big a house you can have. (Cheers and applause.) There's only so many nice trips you can take. I mean, it's enough. (Laughter.) You don't have to take a vow of poverty just to say, "Well, let me help out and let a few of the other folks – let me look at that child out there who doesn't have enough to eat or needs some school fees, let me help him out. I'll pay a little more in taxes. It's okay. I can afford it." (Cheers and applause.)
I mean, it shows a poverty of ambition to just want to take more and more and more, instead of saying, "Wow, I've got so much. Who can I help? How can I give more and more and more?" (Cheers and applause.) That's ambition. That's impact. That's influence. What an amazing gift to be able to help people, not just yourself. (Applause.) Where was I? I ad-libbed. (Laughter.) You get the point.
(Emphasis added)

Note that he is not saying that people shouldn't have big houses, lots of food, or nice trips - he's just saying that there are other ways to use your wealth that have a greater impact and value than yet another home, meal, or trip can provide.