View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 PM

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrWhx8Spp8

The passage in question starts at about 48:00. I think the text makes it clear enough, but his mannerisms and the audience's response make it even clearer -- it's using self-deprecation about his own wealth to make a larger point that when you're wealthy, you have plenty of money left over even after spending it on a very nice lifestyle, and thus progressive taxation is nothing to fear.

And in the sentence immediately preceding, he says the following (bolding mine):
Quote:
For almost all countries, progress is going to depend on an inclusive market-based system – one that offers education for every child; that protects collective bargaining and secures the rights of every worker – that breaks up monopolies to encourage competition in small and medium-sized businesses; and has laws that root out corruption and ensures fair dealing in business; that maintains some form of progressive taxation so that rich people are still rich but they’re giving a little bit back to make sure that everybody else has something to pay for universal health care and retirement security, and invests in infrastructure and scientific research that builds platforms for innovation.
I don't see any possible interpretation of the full context of these quotes that's other than the equivalent of "the rich have nothing to worry about with more progressive taxation -- and I should know because I'm rich and I have plenty of money left over after doing all the things I want to do".

Those inclined to see Obama as evil or a commie or whatever probably see things differently, similar to the way that the guy I pass on my way to work who thinks he's Jesus seems to see things differently.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 08-29-2019 at 01:43 PM.