View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
If the militia part of the clause is essentially meaningless... then it would not have been included in the Constitution. Since it is included in the Constitution, the (heavy) burden of proof is on others to provide reasons to discard it.
I知 not looking to discard it in general; I値l look right at it when it happens to be relevant, even though I値l look elsewhere to answer other questions.

Like, if someone asks me whether the Constitution mentions that the people have a right to keep and bear arms, I値l look to see whether there痴 a part that helpfully says The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed; and, upon spotting that, I値l relay what I see there but, oh, rest assured: if someone instead asks me if the Constitution mentions that a well-regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state? I壇 then look right at the part that helpfully says stuff about a Well-Regulated Militia and the Security Of A Free State: it痴 still there; I haven稚 discarded it; it痴 irrelevant so long as I知 being asked unrelated questions, but it値l get my full attention the very moment I知 asked about it.