View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I find it helpful to remember that the whole of the health care delivery industry, including all of the various flavors of nursing homes, have an underlying philosophy that when they see an elderly person enter, they assume that that person will leave in a pine box. To be fair, they develop this attitude from experience. But, it colors how they interact with the patient and family members. Certainly they provide sometimes heroic measures of medical care, but, y'know, underneath it all is the feeling of inevitability. And some care givers are better than others at navigating the interpersonal interactions with all of the interested parties, and some are worse.

At its ugliest, it's move-them-in and move-them-out and the longer they stick around the more they cost us. Hence the push for DNR in its various forms.
The actual care delivered to my father, by physicians, physical therapists and nurses (with a glaring exception involving two nurses at Beth Israel hospital, which may be the subject of another pitting later) was quite good.

It was administrators who behaved like greeding thieving shits.

And, especially, lawyers. Not that they had anything to do with the health care situation.

But lawyers. Fuck lawyers. Fuck the slimy, cheating, greedy shits who were retained to "help" my father.

Lawyers are in an extraordinary position of trust. Nobody except maybe physicians has as much power over a client/patient/whatever.

And lawyers like these (I mean you, Dave) are the reason people hate and distrust lawyers.