View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
In many states, including the one I practice in (WI) the law doesn't allow a person to be made DNR unless they are a 'qualified' patient, i.e. one with a condition which causes them to be expected to die within 6 to 12 months (>50% likelihood). So we don't end up putting DNR bracelets on folks unless the writing is truly on the wall for them. Now many do live longer than that, as there are outliers, but that's the rule here.

Patients of course are encouraged to have living wills and advanced directives spelling out what they do and don't want should they become terminal or incapacitated, and those are honored, and do result in DNR status for lots of folks when they do reach such dire straits.

And don't get me started on lawyers and the elderly . . .
A few months ago, in WI, I went into respiratory distress and ended up in ICU. I was adamant that I be made DNR and the doctor agreed. I got a bracelet.

I was 48 and had no life threatening chronic conditions but my situation was serious enough that they were preparing to intubate.

I explained that I've been an ICU nurse for 20 years, I fully understand that I could die, but I absolutely refused intubation, CPR, or defibrillation. They could try anything else but if it came to death, please make me comfort care (i.e. give me some drugs to ease my distress).

The doctor even ordered magnesium sulfate at my suggestion.

The patient has a right to refuse treatments they don't want.