View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
So yes, I do believe that innovation and investment is bringing people out of poverty, and those innovators and investors should be rewarded, not penalised.
That really has very little to do with the tax situation in the USA, or what had taken place in the USA if a monopoly like the Bell one had been allowed to remain.

Quote:
As to the Internet, when was the last time there was government led innovation to the Internet? I like bbc.co.uk. They’re quasi-governmental, but they’re hardly innovative. There are lots of government websites. I’ve never noticed any of them bringing something new to the Internet. What I have noticed is the government websites adopting practices started on corporate websites.
You have the history backwards there, it was thanks to government efforts that we got the Internet itself.

Quote:
The fallacy is that you’re failing to actually make a point. You’re throwing around cites and leaving it to people on the other side of the debate to try and guess your position. What is the liberal position expressed in the above quote? That the wealthy have too much influence in government? If that is the issue, what’s your proposed solution to that issue?
There is a method here, first I do want to see what kind of conservative you are. And one main point I made was that you are trying to get an official liberal position when in reality there is really none, and I want to make special notice at your tactic that really sounds as if nothing will satisfy you. One will have to agree to disagree on your attempt at finding an official "liberal position" this is a case were the process of government will give us the proposal to work and discuss and maybe, just maybe to pass it in congress.

Quote:
Is it the wealth tax that you brought up back in post #149? Going back to the OP, do you believe people with entrenched wealth “should be the ones who are "punished" by paying a larger share in taxes, whether of their income or wealth”? How do liberals distinguish between entrenched wealth and entrepreneurial wealth?
Read the OP again, as I noted I do not agree 100% with it, but that are the parameters for the discussion here.