View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Thats not exactly what I said. I didnt say, "if all the people who die by other causes were to die by murder it would cause a breakdown of society". I said if murder was not illegal it would cause a breakdown in society. All those other deaths would still occur.

But lets say you dont feel like paying for a new car? Just kill the dealer and take it. Dont like the way that guy is looking at you in traffic? Shoot the fucker! Hate indiscriminately? Shoot everyone at your high school.

You are a smart guy, i dont need to tell you how, en masse, these types of unchecked behaviors would render a society unworkable.
Well, more accurately people would band together into groups where the people in the group would swear to exact vengeance upon anybody who kills one of the group. These groups would eventually expand into entire villages that had announced that they would exact vengeance upon those that murder, or steal, or disturb the peace.

And thus are laws born. Not from morality, but from a desire for public order/less murders.