View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
But to defend the Infallible Founding Fathers™®, As seen at this image of the handwritten Bill of Rights, the first comma (which renders the entire Amendment gibberish) looks like just a smudge. (Thanks to eschereal for the link, which worked great in 2015 but now, even with help from the Wayback Machine, requires extra clicks.)
You are mistaken on two points. The first two commas are unmistakably there. The third comma (between “Arms” and “shall”) looks like a single dot (period), as though the scribe has just dipped his pen and rested it there momentarily before resuming writing. I can imagine commas ending up in inappropriate places in the pen-dipping days.

But you are correct that there is no way to parse the sentence with any number of commas that makes it grammatical. Oddly, 2A appears to be the only part of the Constitution that resists clear interpretation; 7A is slightly awkward, but it does resolve with much less difficulty.

On the second point, wherefore dost thou accuse me of link-rot? I posted no links in this thread – can you direct me to my error?