View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsen1 View Post
Personal

Responsibility.
This is where the conservative concept of personal responsibility just completely breaks down for me. Yes, there are situations where it's appropriate to say, "You fucked up your life, you have to deal with the consequences on your own." It's never the case where it's appropriate to say that to a nine year old. Children aren't capable of exercising personal responsibility, not to the extent we expect it from adults.

So, when you've got a nine year old who's acting out in class, because they've got a troubled home life, or disinterested parents, or whatever, it doesn't make any sense to me to start talking about personal responsibility. It's a kid. They're not capable of taking personal responsibility.

And yeah, I get that you're talking about parents. I'm not. I'm talking about the kids.

Quote:
I will not be responsible for kids that act poorly if their own parents can't be arsed to follow up or otherwise deal with them. Unless you are willing to strip these parent's of their parental rights and make them charges of the state? Are you?
Depends. Given the following scenarios:

A) Child is left with parents, receives no outside assistence if parenting is substandard.
B) Child is taken from parents and put in an orphanage if parenting is substandard.
C) Child is left with parents and a social support network is put in place to address potential shortfalls in parenting.

Which one results in the best outcome for the child? That's the solution I support.

Sounds to me like "C" is the winner, there.

Quote:
Schools are not and SHOULD NOT be a place where everyone gets ribbon, regardless of bad behavior or ability. It is a place where you get the OPPORTUNITY to learn. END
Strawman. "Not kicking kids out of school for minor disciplinary issues" is not remotely the same as "Everyone gets a reward regardless of performance."