View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
I wasn't reminding anyone that racism is wrong. I was pointing out that what is often attributed by conservatives to "culture" is just the refraction of racism. That is a point I am not so sure you do get.

I would also add that the whole idea that black parents in the aggregate care less about education than whites has very little empirical support. It appears to just be a racist trope.

What you certainly don't do is just write that kid off as coming from a bad culture, or decide that we can just kick those kids out of school because it is someone else's error of personal responsibility.

What you do is try to figure out why that behavior is happening and solve it. Sometimes, often even, you can't. You can only work at the margins. But I can tell you some things that really help. One is smaller classes. Another is ample, full-time social workers and counselors. Another is the funding and training for restorative justice practices. All of those have something in common: $$$. I can't speak for every state, but in most states, per-pupil spending is lower at schools that have more disciplinary problems. It should be the opposite.
The biggest step you can make to help children is get their parents involved. Not notified, not called, not text, INVOLVED. They can care all they want about their children, if they don't 'care' enough to be involved, daily, then that child will undoubtedly do worse than an involved parent's child.
Schools WANT kids in school! Why? Because that is how funding is given.

Teachers on the whole want to help children, they sure as hell ain't there for the big bucks.
I had teachers that would bend over backwards to help me if I showed even a modicum of effort and interest. But no effort and no interest? They can't and shouldn't be nannies. They are teachers.

OPPORTUNITY is there.
OUTCOME not so much.