View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
When I was at Intel in the mid-90s there was a whole bunch of people who drew the detailed circuits, laying them out to be as compact as possible. Five years later when I moved into the microprocessor group at Sun that job no longer existed, replaced by CAD tools.
There are still people who do the detailed layout of cells in a library, but these people didn't do that.
I don't know... that's more of a situation where the job evolved due to technology. Draftsmen used to be almost along the lines of a technical artist, in that they'd make scale drawings in pencil and ink based on engineering and architectural layouts and plans. Nowadays, it's all done in CAD software... by people still called draftsmen, or maybe CAD techs.

And I'm still trying to figure out how automating a train would somehow be more difficult in a conceptual sense than a long-haul truck. The truck has to deal with both varying speed and direction in order to get where it's going, avoid obstacles, and share the road with other vehicles.

By comparison, an automated train's concerns are much simpler-sounding the horn at the appropriate times, speeding up in the appropriate places, slowing down in the appropriate places and times, and identifying if something unusual is on the tracks- a cow or car for example. There's no steering, navigation, sharing the road, obstacle avoidance, etc...

There's already a lot of automated rail in varying degrees, especially in the metro rail arena, as well as a lot of automated safety stuff regarding speed, etc... such as Positive Train Control.

I predict we'll see automated freight trains before we'll see automated semi-trucks...