View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
For that matter, here in the U.S., men's suits are certainly far less common now. Up until the 1990s, business attire was the norm in professional environments; many businesses which had been "business attire" fairly rapidly changed over to "business casual" 20 years ago, more or less. Certainly, there are still some professions and firms which expect men to wear suits, but even then, it's often been loosened -- for example, many lawyers now only wear a suit and tie when they actually go to the courthouse.
A few years ago I showed up to a job interview on a hot day wearing a suit, because I was always taught that that's what you're supposed to wear to a job interview. I got there and the interviewer was like "Oh, you didn't have to wear a suit." This was at a tech company in notoriously casual Silicon Valley, though, so I don't know if that's the norm everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
The "white pages," though isn't just gone, but there's a whole societal change since then. Can you imagine what people would say today if you suggested that every single person's name, address, and phone number should be printed in a book and delivered to every household? Privacy advocates would get it shut down instantly, and the company that did it would probably be out of business.
I remember in the late 1990s when the internet was still a new and scary thing to a lot of people, and online phone directories were starting to become a thing, some of my classmates thought that was a huge violation of their privacy, even though they had no problem with the exact same information being listed in the phone book. They were like "Oh my god, they're putting people's phone numbers on the internet! Then just anyone can find it." I pointed out that they already could do that, using the phone book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
Some time around the early 2000s, pubes started being considered as dirty. That's quite a 180 from my youth, though I hear there's been a (most welcome in my view) pushback against that trend recently.
That reminded me of a conversation with a girl in college (so that would make it early 2000s) about how she thought body hair of any kind was "gross". We were just platonic friends, so we weren't intimate enough for me to learn if this opinion extended to pubes (the conversation was about leg shaving).

Last edited by WildaBeast; 09-11-2019 at 06:35 PM.