View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Thanks for that info. I didn't know there was a large price difference. Like jz78817 above, the concept has been mostly incomprehensible to me. I had viewed it as "renting out a spare room to strangers" and was puzzled why either homeowners or renters would want this. I guess like most news, we only hear about the bad experiences.
I used Airbnb in the spring to visit the Okefenokee Swamp. And it was exactly “renting out a spare bedroom in someone’s house”. Furthermore, the house was out in a rural area, on a dirt road, and owned by a woman who was in the house when I was staying there. I couldn’t help thinking that if I were a single woman, I’d feel mighty uncomfortable letting a strange man stay in my home. And she must have felt the same, because I never laid eyes on her the whole trip - she stayed in another bedroom. Never talked to her, either - we communicated strictly via text. The whole thing was rather odd.

Still, the bedroom and bathroom were comfortable, and the price economical. I gave her a good review.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens