View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
There is no serious discussion to be had because none of your arguments are grounded on the smallest semblance of fact. You watched 4.5hours of lies. You believed those lies without critical thought.
This is really the correct answer.

However, why don't you post your math? I mean, we have planes going into the towers (which seems a weird thing to do if you were planning to demolish them anyway, but whatever) and airplane fuel undoubtedly burning in there. So lets see your numbers for how the steel support structure could still endure, with the weight of all the floors above it as an ongoing static load.

Also, you are saying "The lower levels of each building should have at the very least slowed the progression of the collapse." Show us the maths. Once the upper mass is accelerating, do the lower floors provide sufficient resistance to slow them noticeably? I can catch a pound of iron if its dropped at a meters height. Think anyone could catch it after its fallen a mile, and is traveling at 650 km/h?

I think a lot of the problem is, people do not intuitively understand how things scale. They expect stuff to work the same at very large scales as the do at a human-scale. Just one single thing: when you build something that high, you got to provide structural support. But structural support is not weightless. It adds to the weight. So the more support you provide, the more weight you need to provide support for. That means that for something really tall, you end up with the weight resting on it ratcheting up much faster than you'd expect as you go down in levels. Now, to a degree, you can scale it. You add support at a faster rate as your building grows. But some thing do not scale. Certain properties of your materials stay the same regardless of how much material there is. Bulk modulus, ductility, melting point, atomic bond strength, tensile strength, etc, etc.

This is why we don't have a space elevator.

So at large scales they don't really act like you'd intuitivly expect from the ways you've seen stuff behave at smaller scales.

Last edited by Grim Render; 09-12-2019 at 10:29 AM.