View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
If anyone thinks I don't realize that things are different for men and women, they are 100% wrong. It is exactly because I see those differences that I think the data is wrong if it tries to say it's anyway similar for a man.
You seem to have completely missed my point. The data show that total number of assaults is the same for men and women. What are YOU doing to mitigate your risk?

Oh, almost nothing? Hey, me too.

Quote:
...How often does any man feel vulnerable in a dark parking lot in a suburban grocery store? Probably not very often.
Pretty sure that parking lot is safe. It certainly never occurred to me to worry about it. I shop after dark all the time. Because, you know, that's when I'm free to shop.

Quote:
...- In college, I had zero incidents of unwanted sexual contact, groping, forced kissing, spiked drinks, etc. How many incidents are typical for a woman in college?
I never had a non-sexual assault in college. I had one serious sexual assault that I successfully fought off, and probably some minor incidents that I brushed off at the time.

Quote:
- When I went jogging in my early 20's with my fit body in small running shorts, there was only one sketchy incident: someone pulled over and asked if I wanted a massage. Other than that, I didn't didn't have people honking, waving, leering, pulling up along side me or anything. How many incidents are typical for women jogging?
When I used to walk around NYC, all the sketchy incidents I had focused on my wallet, not my body. The scariest was one when I was walking with my husband. That one was scary enough that we stopped using that street.

Quote:
- I've never had a repair person at my house make me feel uncomfortable, ask for my number, chat about what I like to do, ask me out on a date, or rifle through my underwear drawer. How many women can say that?
ME. Repair people mostly visit houses opened by a woman. If they make the customer uncomfortable, they don't do very well. Seriously. I've had dozens of contractors and repair people through my house. All but one has been a guy (or sometimes guys.) I haven't felt uncomfortable with any of them since the time my parents had the house painted when I was a teen, and I woke up to the noise of a guy removing the shutters from my window, and realizes I was naked and couldn't get out of bed until he moved along. But, he was just doing what he'd been paid to do, my parents should have warned me we'd have painters on the house early in the morning.

I guess I had an electrician with tattoos that looked Nazi-themed to me that I was uncomfortable with. Not that I thought he was about to assault me or anything, I just didn't like having a Nazi in my house. I didn't hire him again.

I'm not saying I speak for all of woman-kind. But I think you are way over-estimating the actual danger women are in, and you are preaching a life of fear and restricted opportunities. I don't think your message is helpful. Not even to keep women from being assaulted, but certainly not overall as a life-message.