View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I'm not a lawyer. We're not in court.
And? That doesn't mean that correct legal / constitutional arguments can't be made by one person, and the other person be shown to just be blowing smoke.

One of us is using quotes and citations and one of us is just wishcasting.

Quote:
You were the one who made the absurd claim that reversal of 2A would lead to penumbral protection reversals of abortion and various other rights.
Hard fought in what way? The right to privacy was conjured into being in Griswold, using a theory that I don't disagree with -- for as long as SCOTUS refuses to revisit The Slaughterhouse Cases , overturn it and reinvigorate the 14th Amendment's "privileges or immunities" clause . . . That would open the constitutional path to recognizing unenumerated rights. The "Penumbral Rights Theory" is a serviceable workaround to Slaughterhouse, for now . . .

Quote:
Conveniently ignoring the fact that all those other rights were hard fought for, separate and apart from 2A.
And there's where you are wrong . . . That "Penumbral Rights Theory" rests on the inviolate nature of the rights recognized and secured in the first eight provisions of the Bill of Rights, is a legal truth and it forms the central point of my argument.

Quote:
Conveniently forgetting the fact that you admitted to wanting more right leaning courts that would challenge/restrict rights like abortion and marriage equality.
I only want judges and Justices that will respect and uphold the Constitution. That they are considered "right leaning" has more to do with the left's penchant for disrespecting and ignoring the Constitution than anyone else's hostility for the right to privacy and its derivative rights.

Just to throw this out there, I consider social conservatives (AKA "religious right") and their anti-abortion / anti-LGBTQ rights agenda to be nearly as dangerous to Liberty and the Constitution as Constitution hating / ignoring liberals . . . Both can be condemned for envisioning government exercising powers it was never granted, to modify the behavior of those they consider either Godless Heathens or the Basket of Deplorables.

Quote:
[Conveniently dismissing that other democracies around the world honor rights and liberty without reliance on anything like 2A.
As it should be dismissed, with ease and no further consideration.

Quote:
In summary, if it please the court, I call bullshit on your entire line of reasoning. Articulate enough for you?
For someone with 37 posts in this thread so far, it seems a letdown to just surrender like that.

Quote:
Wow. I'm almost embarrassed for you, that you thought nothing of sinking so low as to use the anniversary of a national tragedy in such a transparently manipulative manner, in an attempt to further your bent agenda. If your previous posts didn't quite say it clearly enough, this has certainly put all doubt to rest about the kind of person you really are. I'm done here.
And your vapor attack there doesn't explain how I'm wrong. Lord knows, Todd Beamer and the other passengers had a horrible decision to make and that decision was the unorganized militia principle in action.

"Let's Roll" is what Liberty loving, civic minded Americans do.

Last edited by Abatis; 09-12-2019 at 02:14 PM.