View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
You seem to have completely missed my point. The data show that total number of assaults is the same for men and women. What are YOU doing to mitigate your risk?

Oh, almost nothing? Hey, me too.
Something is not adding up. We have women in this thread relating how common SH and SA has been in their lives, but my experience with either physical or sexual assault has been practically zero. I can't believe it's just lucky chance for me. My guess is that there are certain distinct environments where men are assaulted (e.g. gang/drug violence, bar fights, etc), while women are more at a general risk. But this is all guessing on all of our parts. If anyone can show that assault rates are 50/50 regardless of environment, I'd be very interested to see it.

A while ago this video came out 10 hours of walking in NYC as a woman. The video is just a couple of minutes of the whole thing. Some of the things she experienced in that 10 hours I have not experienced in my entire lifetime--nothing close to it. At the end it says she had 100+ incidents of guys following her, harassment, cat calls, leering, etc. along with countless winks, whistles, etc. Her experience is nothing like my experience.