View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think what they're trying to get at is that while there's no real "deep state" in the sense of a shadow government stealthily pulling the strings of government, what we do have is a large Federal bureaucracy made of up of self-selected people who probably have a somewhat common viewpoint on policies, and an associated set of private sector enterprises that interact with those bureaucracies. And all of those things have institutional inertia, their own agendas, and their own ways of doing things.

So when Senator Dingleberry shows up from North Dakota, and somehow rams a bill through Congress that runs counter to those agendas, viewpoints and ways of doing things, that bill's execution gets slowed down, is less effective and is generally obstructed. That's how I'm interpreting the "deep state"- just because elected officials decide something, it doesn't mean that all the entrenched infrastructure of the day-to-day running the government is suddenly in line and motivated to make it happen when and how those elected officials want it to happen.

To use a personal hypothetical... I work for a large city, and if our city council was to somehow be overrun by Republicans who were bent on reducing city services to the lower income and/or ethnic residents, you had better believe that just about any council resolution or mandate of that kind would be slow-walked, marred by 'incompetency' or just plain obstructed by the rank and file, because as a rule, we're not about that kind of thing here, regardless of what the elected types think. I can't help but think that the Federal government doesn't have something similar in each bureaucracy and on a broader scale.
Well that's what I thought too, but when I asked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I'll give you a better debate topic: how could we possibly have a country that did not have a so-called "deep state"? Because IMO, we can't. No one can. It's ridiculous.
I was told that I wasn't following the OP.

What you are describing isn't a "deep state" it's "a country's government and culture".

Are we supposed to expect every government employee to be a robot that can be re-programmed overnight after an election? Do we expect the entire country to simply fall in line after a 51% vote for a particular party? That's ridiculous.