View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
What is restorative discipline?
Warning, PDF

Quote:
In essence, RIs are problem-solving processes held in a small conference or a larger circle format, which may include people affected by the incident directly and indirectly. Typically, conferences for serious incidents follow a formal procedure.

First, a preconference meeting is held whereby a facilitator meets with a disputant to orient him or her to restorative approaches. At this meeting, a disputant can decline to participate in an RI or a facilitator can determine a conference is not appropriate if the disputant will not accept any responsibility or acknowledge his or her role in the incident and/or is not willing to repair the harm (Wachtel, O’Connell, & Wachtel, 2010).

Second, if the conference is to proceed, a range of parties are invited to voluntarily attend, including the disputant, the disputant’s supporters, and all those negatively impacted by the incident (McCluskey et al., 2008).

Third, in the conference itself, participants sit in a circle facing one another, and a facilitator uses a structured set of questions to guide the exchange among all the participants. The goal is for everyone (including the victim and the disputant) to voice their perspectives. The set of questions facilitate reflection on the link between actions and subsequent consequences. Typical questions include the following: ‘‘What happened?’’; ‘‘Who has been harmed/affected by what you have done?’’; ‘‘What part are you responsible for?’’; and ‘‘How will the harm be repaired?’’ (Teachers Unite, 2014). Questions also solicit sharing of the emotional experience of the incident to further empathy and understanding (Nathanson, 1997; Wachtel et al., 2010).

Fourth, the participants jointly develop a plan to repair the harm and prevent future incidents. The aim is to hold disputants accountable for breaching trust with the community and at the same time reintegrate those students back into the community (Braithwaite, 1989, 2001; Costello, Wachtel, & Wachtel, 2010). Agreements to repair the harm can take many forms, including the disputant making amends through his or her actions (e.g., community service or repair damaged property). Typically, agreements are written down and agreed upon by all conference participants.
Quote:
Do you have the time to set up and meet with these parents?
What is better classroom management?
In the vast majority of these "horror show" schools that people love to hear about, there are teachers who don't have significant discipline problems. They manage. If more resources will help (and often they would, significantly), then we should provide them. Suspensions DON'T help. Having "that kid" out of your room for 3 day doesn't help the rest of the class and it doesn't lead to a better behaved kid upon his return.

Quote:
If I see racism at work, I call it out. At the very least, they change their behavior when I am around or involved. It doesn't happen often.
I'm not talking about a teacher coming to the lounge and saying 'Wow, these black kids sure are disruptive!". I am talking about, over several years, noticing that another teacher often has trouble with students that you have also taught without a problem, and that those kids are almost always black. That's a hard thing to call a person on, because you aren't in the room with them and you don't know what happened in any particular case. I'm talking about noticing--again, over years--that when they describe a black kid, they generally start with "respectful" or "disrespectful", as if those are the most important qualities, but when describing a white kid, they focus on qualities like intelligence or humor. It's noticing, over years, that they attribute misbehavior from black kids to "willful defiance" or "laziness" and others as "boredom", "immaturity", "ADHD". It's noticing, over years, a strong tendency to suspect black kids of cheating when they are successful.

Sure, you can say things like "That has never been my experience with that child" or "I think they are just immature" or "He's very bright, I wouldn't assume cheating", but unless you keep records, it's hard to convince someone there is a pattern.

Last edited by Manda JO; 09-13-2019 at 06:12 AM.