View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
One thing my grandparents’ WWII generation seemed a lot more interested and concerned about than now was the ... religion of people. It was something they thought important to know and discuss; for example, if a family who was catholic moved in to the neighborhood, they would have been identified and appraised as the “the Catholic family” ....
Somewhat similarly, one thing I've noticed is that the post-WWII generation attended church regularly and wasn't afraid to say so ("Well, I was talking to Bill at church last Sunday, and he said ...").

When I was a child in the 1960s, everybody went to church every Sunday. Our street practically cleared out Sunday mornings, as most every family went to church. The churches that families on our street attended may have been Protestant or Catholic, but they were churches, it was Sunday, and not attending church was out of the question. As I recall, from my own childhood attendance at church, it was packed every Sunday, with perhaps three hundred to four hundred people. Our church had plenty of social clubs for all ages that didn't focus on religion--Cubs, Scouts, the Teen Club (wholesome activities such as bowling, for teens, always accompanied by pizza), the Badminton Club (in the church gym), the Couples Club (for newlyweds), the Senior Ladies Bridge Club, and so on.

I sang in the choir of a Protestant church in the 1990s, and noticed the dropoff in attendance. The church was not as big as the one I attended as a child, but still, it might have been half-full at best on an ordinary Sunday, and most of the congregation was at least fifty years old. There were few families with young children, and any social clubs the church had, were geared towards the demographic that was attending--that is, seniors. The Senior Ladies Bridge Club was there, but no Teen or Badminton clubs.

Nowadays, neither me, nor anybody I know, goes to church regularly. If they do, they don't talk about it. A sharp contrast from my childhood and teen years.