View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Well, how much do you think is necessary to support the wars you support? It's up to you.
OK, I'm good then. Since I think voting, paying your taxes, and following the law is enough support for having an opinion on anything.

Quote:
It's not up to me, it really is up to you. Shame is not something given, it is something taken. If you would feel shame after advocating for war because someone asks what you are doing to support it, then you know that you are not doing enough.
Again, I'm good.

Quote:
Vets get cancer too.
Vets hike a lot. Many use hiking and nature as a way of recovering from PTSD, and others just like to hike. You could use this line of reasoning about literally anything, since vets do all sorts of things.

Quote:
The assumption that I want to use this as some sort of way of abrogating free speech or humiliating my opponents does not have any relevancy to the discussion.
My belief is that your argument relies on faulty logic. I'm all for avoiding unnecessary wars; I think we're in complete agreement there. What I'm saying is that the idea of shaming people who disagree with you because they don't meet an ill defined and fundamentally subjective criteria about "support" is deeply flawed. It presumes to have privileged knowledge, insight into complex motivations, and the moral high ground when none of those things are apparent.

I think nearly everyone wants to eliminate unnecessary military conflict. Volunteering for the military or volunteering your time at a VA hospital or any other arbitrary criteria shouldn't be a benchmark to determine ridicule if that person draws the line in a different place than you do. If you go down that route, I will dismiss anything you have to offer in the dialog because you're just promoting vitriol and name calling.