View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The Shingrix vaccine has been shown to be significantly more effective than the previous vaccine. While every vaccine has its risks, this seems like a no brainer.
Well, two things: the NSAIDs that were taken off the market had been "shown to be significantly safer" than the NSAIDs they were replacing. By the method of publishing only the good results. And: the reason why Shingrix vaccination might offer protection against the Corona Virus is that it boosts the immune system. That is a significantly more complex statement than "Shingrix protects against shingles".

Shingrix contains both a virus fragment and an adjuvant. The adjuvant has been shown to boost the immune system. Boosting the immune system is probably a good thing, but even that isn't a certainty like death or taxes. Will the Shingrix vaccination make you more susceptible to cytokine storm? Did the drug company simply conceal some of the results? Life is full of unknowns.

And here's a bit where the "Not a doctor, not an immunologist" comes into play: A feral measles infection gives you very good immunity to measles, while weakening your response to all other diseases. It's one of the reasons why having a measles vaccination is such a good idea. But you wouldn't want a vaccination that simply gave you "good protection against shingles" right now if it did so by redirecting your entire immune system to shingles protection. I'm not suggesting that Shingrix does that: I'm saying that I don't know enough to even know if it is a good question, and you have to make your decision on the basis of information that is available to you now.