View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 05:00 PM

Getting my head around the cost/benefit of flatten the curve.

As I understand it if we let the virus set the pace of new infections we get a tall but narrow bell curve representing the rate of new infections. The economy would be only slightly affected and we would achieve herd immunity pretty quick. The downside of course is that mostly older people like me have a good chance of not having medical care available to them due to lack of available resources. That must be a hard thing for the rest of you to swallow.

Now I know the seasonal flu kills 10's of thousands of people each year without any economic interruption. Obviously our medical capacity is geared for it.

But if we flatten the rate of new infections , I'll still be in danger (with proper treatment available) but for a much longer period of time, perhaps for a few more years I hear.

The benefit is the number of lives that would have been lost due to lack of care.

The cost per life saved would blow our minds I'm guessing

So this is a long about way of saying to the younger generations that are out of work right now and on the front lines of this crisis, thankyou on behalf of all of us vulnerable
and elderly