View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post

The big question is how the virus will mutate, as they all do. The so-called Spanish 'flu of 1918 came in several waves and the second in particular was more deadly. The weird thing about this epidemic was that it hit worldwide and it killed many of the young and healthy, so it is not a case of being a result of the war and culling the weak and the elderly. We can only hope that it does not happen again, and bear in mind as well that many of the victims were left with impaired health afterwards. This could occur with the current virus, as it goes for the lungs.
The reason the Spanish flu was worse for the young was that it turned your immune system against you, so those with better immune systems were hit harder.
The existence of the flu was considered a military secret at first, which is one of the reasons it spread so virulently. It was called the Spanish flu because Spain, which was neutral, had no reason not to report it. It did not start in Spain.

My source for the flu stuff is my wife, who wrote a book on the flu when we were worried about the avian flu. She got paid, but the book was never published because the flu was not as bad as expected, showing there is a dark lining to every silver cloud.
I'm at a loss about how herd immunity applies here. It works for vaccination because you can make people immune without a good chance of killing them. This is more like smallpox before Jenner. The "vaccine" for it during the Revolution was infecting people with smallpox, and hoping they didn't die. After that they were immune and you could control the spread. Not a great solution compared to vaccination, and I wouldn't call it herd immunity.