View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I don't have the numbers at my fingertips, but when I saw them broken down in detail by relatively small age ranges (10-20 years IIRC), what I found interesting that is not being widely reported is that, relative to the flu, this virus is actually proportionately MORE deadly for the relatively young vs. the very old. The important caveat there is "relative to the flu". Covid-19 definitely has a much higher death rate for the elderly than for the young. But the ratio between the flu's death rate for the elderly and the young is actually much higher in the case of the flu.

The University of Minnesota's Center Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) published an editorial last week expressing some skepticism about this public health messaging that we don't have to worry about aerosol transmission:

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...-hinge-science

I wonder if a lot of this has to do with the propaganda coming from that sector telling people that masks are ineffectual except when used by healthcare workers. This is to my mind pretty obviously bullshit (and look at the Asian countries who have been most successful in curbing their caseload, where masks are ubiquitous), intended to keep laypeople from buying up all the masks and causing a shortage for doctors and nurses.

It all seems murky at best, and I'm just going to operate under the assumption that any indoor area where people have been breathing recently could have aerosol particles that could infect me--so I'm going to wear my N95 mask.
First, where did you get your info that masks have been ubiquitous in Asia during the COVID pandemic? Second, you're using post hoc reasoning when you assume the Asian countries who curbed their caseload did so because people were wearing masks. If the masks were effective, there wouldn't have been a need for lockdowns.

The surgical masks were first created not to keep surgeons from inhaling patients' germs but to keep him from sneezing, coughing, or letting his nose drip into the surgical field. As has been conclusively established repeatedly, the masks are NOT very effective in preventing the wearer from inhaling the COVID-19 virus, though they're better than nothing. The n95 masks are effective, but there was no stockpile, and almost all of them are made in China, which stopped shipping masks during the pandemic there.

And for the record, it's more important that doctors and nurses have whatever protection is available than that you and I do. How many COVID-19 patients have you treated today?