View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 02:49 PM

Get the "stay home" message out as much as possible over traditional media, TV, radio and papers. But otherwise, working from home would be impossible for most people and there was less automation, so factories for example had a lot more employees working there every day than they do now, and a lot closer together. On the other hand, it does seem in hindsight that both sides of the political aisle had a little more trust in the government back then, so maybe the government could have handled it in a more competent way, paying people to stay home and closing unnecessary businesses. But ultimately, I think the outcome would have been a lot worse back then than it will be in 2020.

But when it comes to quantitative numbers, both epidemiological and economic, I don't think we'll get the whole picture for months or years. So I'm not sure we'll understand just how bad it currently is until it's over or nearly so, and we won't know the economic costs for years. So it's hard to be more precise than "it would have been worse in 1990".