View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 02:48 PM

Apparently the president thinks he has the authority to quarantine, as he says he's considering quarantining hot spots in New York "probably New Jersey" and "certain parts of Connecticut." He says he'll decide sometime today.

Quote:
"I don't even know what that means. I don't know how that could be legally enforceable," the Democratic governor said during in a news conference in Albany. "And from a medical point view, I don't know what you would be accomplishing."

"But I can tell you, I don't even like the sound of it," he added.

Trump, however, said that possible quarantine would be "enforceable" and "restrict travel" from those parts of the tri-state area. He also said any quarantine wouldn't affect truckers from outside the New York area.

"Restrict travel, because they're having problems down in Florida, a lot of New Yorkers going down. We don't want that," he said.
Trump says such a quarantine would only be for two weeks or so.

I'm unclear as to what this would entail and how it would be enforced. I'm assuming roads to and from these areas would be blocked, but by whom? The military? Would the Coast Guard stop water craft? Would the FFA shut down airports?

It doesn't seem likely the federal government has the constitutional authority to do this, but if Trump does it anyway, would states likely take this to the Supreme Court?