View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 07:41 AM

I do quite a bit of work with VHS and VHS-C tapes, but I can't add a lot to what has already been said. I'll make just a few comments.

Contrary to what video rental stores say, tapes should ALWAYS be stored in the played condition. This ensures the most even winding of the tape and prevents blow-outs.

A video stabilizer unit MAY help. You are probably getting the message from your TV because the sync signal(s) in the composite video is/are weak or erratic. Again, a stabilizer MIGHT help. A simple unit is not very expensive. (BTW, new video monitors are much less tolerant of this problem. In my experience, older non-digital CRT units will often display a picture under these circumstances. Good analog video capture cards may also handle the degraded signal satisfactorily.)

VHS-C adapters are notorious for having alignment and transport problems. It is not at all unusual for a VHS player to require adjustment (including alignment) to play VHS-C tapes in a specific adapter consistently. If you are brave enough, you can try this yourself. What have you got to lose? There are several sites that go over the basics on adjusting VHS players. Normally, we would use a special alignment reference tape to make the adjustments, but you are going to be optimizing the player for your specific situation and adapter, so you won't need an alignment tape. You may even find that you need to adjust for specific VHS-C tapes you have.

Last edited by ZonexandScout; 04-21-2019 at 07:44 AM.