View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
1) I set up a row of algae terrariums to produce oxygen. Eventually, they were entirely encased in polluted oxygen, and when I moused over to see what the little red box was saying, it said they were out of algae. Does it die off and I have to find more? Or did my algae burner (or whatever that first thing is) use up all the algae out of my terrariums?
Almost every bit of machinery produces an unpleasant output. In the case of your algae terrariums, they make polluted water. If you look in front of the terrarium, you'll see a bottle of greenish water--that's the polluted water. Polluted water emits polluted oxygen.

Here's what you'll want to do:
1) Somewhere that's somewhat removed from your main action, dig a deep hole--like, maybe 6 tiles deep by 4 tiles wide. You'll need a ladder going down into it so you can get out.
2) From the plumbing menu, build a bottle emptier that'll empty into the hole. (You can hit "O" to flip the emptier's orientation when you build it).

Once that's done, your dupes--the little dudes in your base--will automatically empty the bottles into the cistern you dug.

Eventually you'll research deodorizers, which turn polluted oxygen into clean oxygen; you can put some around your cistern to cut down on the polluted oxygen.

Also, if the algae terrariums are out of algae, you gotta go dig up more algae.

2) I built a group of planters, planted meal plants, and set up the mush maker to use the meal lice to make healthy, delicious bars of muck. Instead of ever getting used for muck, my idiotsduplicants just ate the damn seeds. Is there a way to prevent that?[/QUOTE]
Muck is made from dirt and water. You'll need to choose "liceloaf" if you want them to cook the meal lice. But they won't eat the seeds for planting new meal lice--they'll just eat the product of the plant, so you don't need to worry about that.