View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM

I've come to realization and have confirmed with several doctors that a good part of medical diagnoses is based on statistical data. It may be that statistically, someone of your age, in your condition is likely to require full time care and the recommendation for you to be admitted is a CYA. Better to have you admitted now, rather than have you return home and get worse, possibly claiming that they shouldn't have released you.

Also, I don't know about other states, but in Hawaii, admittance to the good, reputable nursing home is difficult to get. My Mom went from the hospital to a private nursing home for a few months, but as she got better (i.e. wasn't completely bedridden), we were given a time limit before she had to leave. Note that we paid almost the monthly bill ourselves, but she had to leave because they needed the room for someone else in more dire need. Yes, there's an argument to be made that the next person requiring more care would bring in more money, but it was an emphatic no that she shouldn't stay.

We were blessed to find a private full-time care home for the bargain price of $4000/mo, whereas other homes were asking for several thousand more. Part of the reason for the lower cost was because at the time of admittance she wasn't completely bedridden and able to generally wash and care for herself. The last few months of her life, she did become completely bedridden, but the caregiver didn't ask for an increase despite the owner of the home/company asking for one.