View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
THIS BILL just passed says schools in California grades k-8 are no longer allowed to suspend students for "willful defiance". The idea behind it was that too many students of color were being suspended and they want schools to come up with alternatives rather than kick kids out school.

My opinion: as long as the school tried some alternatives first like communication with parents, they should have the right. Kids being disruptive prevents teachers from teaching and the other kids from learning.

This bill tells kids its ok to walk in late, cause major disruptions, call the teacher names, and act like a total ass.

What is your opinion?
Well, your characterization is deeply cynical. Alternatives like communicating with parents? What are the chances that the parents are the problem? Isn't it more disruptive for the kid to send them packing to a new school every 8 weeks? And burdening their no-good parents with trying to navigate this chaos?

I say this bill is a good first step, it basically says - "Hey schools, do your job! Find a solution!" Now of course, IRL this is going to require more resources and money to tackle. Hopefully that will be recognized and addressed in due course.