View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Holy crap! Kearsen1 has solved the problem of racism!

Thank god!

It's hard to convey how SUBTLE these things are. I know a woman who has filed assault charges against 2, maybe 3 different black students, each years apart. I don't know anyone else who has done that. Knowing her, and having watched how she interacted with kids, I have no doubt that she was deliberately antagonistic in a way she wasn't with white kids. I saw her do it other times. Again, hard to call someone on any specific incident, and in every case the kid was doing something wrong. But she was different with black kids. She was the worst, but there's been plenty of others. A white kid acting out is "bored"; a black kid is "aggressive". A white kid chasing another is engaged in "horseplay"; a black kid is "threatening others". A white kid is "thoughtless"; the black kid is "deliberately disrespectful". The white kid gets moved into a more advanced reading class; the black kid gets suspended. Then, when they get to the next grade, the patterns and expectations are set. By now the black kids may well be acting out more--they've been primed for it--which reinforces racist bias. This is real. This happens.

This is not always the case, of course. But it's foolish to think it isn't a factor or that it doesn't need to be addressed.