View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Have these types of zingers ever worked? I think every modern presidential candidate has been the subject of "OMG! He/she could not name the Speaker of the Cambodian House of Representatives!" criticism and I cannot recall once where that was a factor in torpedoing the candidacy.

I follow the news extensively and would not have known his name without googling. Of course, you could say that I am not running for President of the United States, but so what? You don't think a President could sit down for 15 minutes, learn about Mexico's president and be prepared to conduct diplomacy from there?

Sure, there are exceptions. If she didn't know who Boris Johnson is, for example, that would show a bit of complacency as he has been in the news constantly for the last year.

But my point is that these little trivia contests, while all the rage in the media, really haven't shown to be a factor for voters.
This is ridiculous. It would be really bad if she didn't know Boris Johnson, just like if anyone who reads the news should be embarrassed not to know him. But the President of Mexico is President of a major trading partner and a neighboring country. Frequently in sparring matches over immigration. It is nothing at all like some rando politician in Columbia. She's in the damn Senate, does Mexican policy never come up in discussions?

Last edited by CarnalK; 02-21-2020 at 10:51 AM.