View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
This has always intrigued me, actually. We're talking about a place with maybe a third to half the square mileage of Texas. Yet there's about a million differently identifiable accents. On their best day Americans might be able to spot five or six 'so-called' American accents. It's like we could spot the difference - and have it have meaning - between Charleston, Columbia and Greenville accents here in South Carolina. It's bewildering to me.
It's the same with dialects and languages in general. Land area is not the important factor. Important factors are a stable population over time and relative isolation from surrounding areas.

English has spread across North America too recently for those small, distinctive pockets to form in many places. As you note, where there is some degree of distinctiveness, it's in longer-established English-language settlements on the East Coast.

And also notice that America's accent regions are largely horizontal across the continent. Because that's how the populations mostly spread.